Friday, March 31, 2017

This week, I found it very interesting how we went back to the concept of children helping and what it means for a child to show empathy. When we looked at the way schools are trying to institutionalize programs that assist with young children, developing emotional intelligence and understanding of empathy. It reminded me of my personal experiences working in a classroom with a similar concept. Back in 2012, in my graduating year of high school, I did a coop placement in a kindergarten classroom. My role was to supervise and assist with a young boy on the autism spectrum. Since this class had a fellow student with ASD, the teacher implemented several lessons and daily exercises to be inclusive and empathetic towards their fellow students regardless of ability and differences. What i find more fascinating is that within the lessons, the teacher never actually referenced the specific student that these exercises were meant to catered towards , so it ensured that the kids were learning to empathetic towards everyone not just the fellow student. I find this theory of developing emotional intelligence very important in young children and could prove greatly beneficial in a world where adolescence are growing up exposed to institutionalized prejudice.

No comments:

Post a Comment